Seating strings

David Chadwick chadwick61@cox.net
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 08:10:36 -0700

Greetings,=20
I really don't think that there is enough down bearing on the bridge cap =
to positively terminate the power generated by the wave pattern of the =
string. I'm certainly no authority and I'm probably just pondering. Try =
holding one end of a rope while another person quickly moves the other =
end up and down similarly to string vibration. Even standing on the =
"bridge end" of the rope would require more down bearing power to keep =
it from leaking beyond the point of termination and continued vibration =
would undoubtedly wear the surface on either the rope/string or the =
stopping point, whichever is the strongest material. Cementing the =
bridge pin in place might be OK for the pin to wood relationship but I =
feel it leaves me with fewer options to service this point such as =
tapping the bridge pins. I like Roger J's solution that I picked up at a =
seminar once....by gently sliding the thick side of the felt mute wedge =
slowly up the speaking length to the bridge with slight down pressure =
the seating can be accomplished without the tapping on the strings. I =
usually do it as needed through the course of tuning. It also is a lot =
quieter and is less alarming to the client as the tapping can be quite =
noisy. My only question is how come it more in the treble section than =
in other area's.=20

More than "two cents" worth but I had to comment.=20

David Chadwick