Seating strings

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 10:45:50 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>Theory.
>
>I agree that it is highly improbable that the string climbs up the pin.
>

>However the pin can rise out of the bridge, due to hydraulics. As moisture
>is absorbed by the bridge, force is applied to the bottom of the pin,
>moving it upward.

This would seem to argue against bottoming the pin in the hole.  Some
rebuilders (maybe some builders too, I don't know) drill the holes deep and
don't drive the pins to the bottom of the hole.  Do you think this would
prevent this?

>If the pin has moved upwards, then this can explain why a light tap will
>seat the pin and string, and be a partial cure for several years.  The
>hydraulics with begin to do it's evil work again.
>   New pianos going to a very dry climate will exhibit shrinkage of the
> bridge, and can show a lot of falseness. Seating the strings by tapping
> the bridge pins cleans up a lot of the garbage, and lasts for a number of
> years.
>Regards Roger.

Would tapping the strings down without tapping the pins down not accomplish
the same thing?

Phil Ford