Seating Strings.

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 20:20:30 +0100

Hi folks...

Since half the reason this subject came up again had to do with bridge
pin related false beats... I thought I'd throw this one into the mix.

A test for bridge pin related falsness is to put a screwdriver against
the forward pin of the offending string, play it and see if pressing on
the pin towards the string will lessen the false beat or make it
disapear all together.

A little known fact which has yet to be considered in all this is that
if you have a reallllly solid pin... and a clear as bell sound.. you can
do the same experiment and introduce a false beat to the string that
dissapears again th moment you release the pressure on the pin.  A very
slight pressure either in the direction of the string or away from it
will do the trick.  It is that exact same kind of falseness one relates
to loose bridge pins.  Clearly one is not in this case causing some
temporary condition of loosness on the part of the pin.  Seems to me
like something else is at work here. Perhaps some kind of a phasing
problem between the combined termination point created by the pin and
edge of the bridge.... perhaps something not thunk of yet.... :)

Cheers
RicB