onlypure tuning

David Renaud drjazzca@yahoo.ca
Sun, 17 Apr 2005 08:43:49 -0400 (EDT)

Bernhard, responses below

You mangle art with patents.  With a patent you cannot
protect artwork, but a method you can.
  hmmm. Many methods you can't because they are
basic choices commonly and logically used, and
you can not be looking over a worker shoulder to
check their method. For example, you could patent
a new tuning hammer, but not patent using it at
15% angle. Patent a better saw but can't patent
using 12 inch strokes. You could patent a song,
but not a specific cord, or a specific tuning of that
cord. Orchestra's manipulate pitch so profoundly
to achieve the decided purity at any time, they have
arrived at every combination of stretches to colour
a major cord, and octave -5ths, and do them all the
time. You cannot patent the temperament of cords,
people just do it.

Besides that, art is not a public domain at all, as
you want to make believe here.

  I am a professional artist, an much is Public
Domain, very much.
  I play professionally for 25 years, with a national
orchestra from time to time, and nearly 200
professional gigs a year, Much music is public domain.
Furthermore, there are absolutely no restrictions on
the example I used, when playing
an improvised jazz solo, there will never be any
restrictions on the combinations of notes, or the
tuning of those notes, it is my creation, and comes
spontaneously from me....my example applying to solos
in jazz is absolutely true. People patent tunes, but
can not even  patent cord progressions, hundreds of
tunes share the same rhythm changes cord progression,
and blues progression.....these are public domain.
Songs can be patented, progressions and
tuning...never. That would be like patenting a colour
for an oil painter.

For example you may play every music you want for your
own purpose. But if you sell music, where other people
have copyrights on, this is not free at all.

Again basic cords, progressions, tunings have never
successfully been patented. People have tried. Some
band last year tried to patent an E major cord when
used in a particular context, they failed. These are
basic tools available to everyone to explore.

Same as for patents. You may use all patent related
methods for private use  for free, as long you do net
sell them. That i file for patent is an explicit
method i found as new. If one wants to
raise objection at a patent process because he
believes that he found that
same method before, he must prove that he made it
available to the public
before the patent filing.

   Fine, we will see you there.
I can prove I taught a student to use octave-fifth
3 and 4 note combinations to judge purity and choose
spread 10 years ago. Like to sustain spreads with
sostento as well to free up the hand to tune while
listening to all sorts of combinations, of which
octave-5ths are the most natural and common
combinations. I got that trick from David
Morgan, now retired, 22 years ago, who got that trick
from Peter Dean in Ottawa, 35 years ago.

  It is like patenting a colour.
  It will not happen.
  If it does happen it is wrong, and you can sue me.

                         Cheer
                         Dave Renaud