Seating strings

Sun, 17 Apr 2005 18:07:51 +0100

Hello List
I thought I would add a little "je ne sais quoi" to the battle. Although =
I am not a real devotee of John Broadwood they had some very =
revolutionary designs. And good for them! R&D is a cause worth pursuing =
- without it Ron Overs would not have developed his rather elegant new =
grand action design - just to mention one. Broadwoods were very =
innovative. They developed the "barless" grand, the repetition spring in =
upright pianos and, the point in question now (under the =
Collen-Broadwood banner) the fully agraffed strung frame. In this we =
find brass agraffes throughout, not only at the top end but on the =
bridge also. I cannot say I like the quality of the tone these pianos =
produce but I wonder what they were like when new? These brass agraffes =
are not fitted like the standard model but are attached by a screw =
through a counter-sunk hole. String spacing is by the holes on one side =
and string speaking-length is terminated on the rim opposite. I have not =
heard any false strings on one of these yet.
Regards during a respite from cutting the grass in my Sussex garden
Michael G.(UK)