worthy of a patent?

jonathan stuchell jstuchell@verizon.net
Sun, 17 Apr 2005 14:55:35 -0400

  Hello list,

                If an idea, invention, or new way of doing something is =
truly worth a patent, then it should be subject to critical review by =
the peers in the field.  Then after testing and review, it can be used =
for the benefit of all.   For a price, of course.  There is still no =
free lunch. =20
=20
                If the new idea is hidden through cryptic language, it =
is most likely just a veneer.  Anything offset from ET could be =
considered a new tuning!  I could create a new tuning, and hide it, or I =
could share it.  If I truly believed it was a better tuning, I would =
want to share it with other piano technicians.  Is the new tuning better =
or could it at least be used as an alternative?   We wouldn't know...

                   If a new tuning from ET did catch on, we'd have tons =
of work to do.   I prefer the old temperaments myself !

             =20
    Regards,      =20

    J. Stuchell
               =20