Capstan angle

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 08:16:30 -0700

>I'm not talking about the overlapping holes, you can simply plug the old
>ones.

I don't understand why there would be any overlapping holes.  If the
capstan is angled back and you want to angle it forward and keep the
wippen heel contact point the same, the holes would be in a
completely different place (and obviously at a different angle).

>   Flipping the angle will move the capstan contact point on the key
>well away from the balance rail reducing the mechanical advantage
>considerably (assuming the contact point on the wippen heel remains the
>same.

The key ratio is determined by the distance of the [wippen heel -
capstan contact point] to the balance point.  It's not dependent on
where the capstan enters the key.

Phil Ford