Seating strings

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 12:00:31 -0500

>> Spitfire propeller blades! I'd love a sample if the hacksaw survives.
>

> OK.  I'll give it a shot, assuming I can locate the sample.  If the
> hacksaw doesn't work I'll fire up the laser cutter.

I'll round you up a sample of my veneer lamination and we can
exchange prisoners.

> I agree that downbearing couldn't crush the notch edge past the point
> where the string is making contact with it.  I also agree that the
> damage is (mostly) not being done by downbearing.  It's being done as
> the cap moves up and the string doesn't.  Let's remove the pins and the
> notch.  The bridge is now a square block of wood.  Run a stiff string
> over it so that it's coming off the square block at a 1.5 degree angle
> on both sides.  What are you going to see?  The string will be
> contacting the block at the edges and up in the air in between.  The
> bearing stress at those contact points is going to be very high.

But not nearly as high as what the pins produce. Yes, I understand
the thinking here, but I don't think rounding the bridge top will
provide a benefit. First: how do you determine the proper curve for
the tangent? Oops, a bit too deep! Second: how do you practically
produce this curve in a step notched bridge? Third: By curving the
top, you have eliminated the "pad" that the cyclic crushing from pin
friction had before the notch edge is below tangent. I see it
producing false beats quicker than ever.

  >Even if the top of the bridge was curved the string
> may get crushed down into the cap in the vicinity of the pin, as you
> say.

I don't see what would prevent it with a humidity reactive cap.

>I'm inclined to think that moving the notch back away from the pin
> might make this crushing a little less.

I expect that's right, and if the pin could be kept solid in the cap
at the top, it would remain a clean termination.

Ron N