Capstan angle

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 12:42:15 -0700

What discrepancy?  The top of the capstan could angle off by as much as
you want and it makes no difference.  The only issue with the key ratio
is the point at which the weight is lifted by the key, which is where
the capstan instersects the key.  The overall ratio of the system,
however, will be affected by the point at which the capstan contacts the
wippen heal because in that 2nd class lever, the critical dimension is
the distance from the wippen center to the contact point on the wippen
heal.  When you add everything together (including the hammer shank
lever) you get the total leverage in the system.  But each one must be
considered separately.

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Conrad Hoffsommer
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2005 12:01 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: RE: Capstan angle

At 13:50 4/18/2005, you wrote:
>There will be overlapping holes to the extent that the capstan is
angled
>enough to move the contact point with the key far enough to avoid the
>original hole.
>
>Sorry, but you are incorrect about the key ratio.  The key ratio
depends
>completely on where the capstan enters the key, nothing more nothing
>less.  The ratio of the wippen lever, on the other hand, will depend on
>where the top of the capstan contacts the wippen heel.
>
>David Love
>davidlovepianos@comcast.net

???

How does one then account for the possible discrepancy between the
distances from the balance point of the key to:
  a.) the capstan/key interface and
  b.) capstan/wippen interface?

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.