Bridge notcher photos (Modified by Kent Swafford)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 12:58:25 -0500

Well, here they are. There are a lot of ways to build something like
this, and a good percentage of them would work. I designed this around
partly what I had on hand, partly what I could buy without spending
thousands, and what I thought I was capable of producing with the
equipment I have in the shop. I started with an old router, and went
from there

1100: The carriage runs on 1/2" rods, with linear bearings embedded in
the Baltic birch sandwich everything is bolted to. The cutter and hold
down height relationship is fixed, with both mounted on the slide rods.
Since the slide bearings and hold down mount are very close together on
the rods, it's quite rigid. An old die set from a salvage yard, and a
pneumatic ram harvested from junked data processing equipment twenty
years ago provide the lift mechanism to press the bridge against the
hold down from below. The big threaded rods front and back are height
adjustments for different height bridges.

http://tinyurl.com/7duwe

https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/files/attachments/5f/29/07/11/DSC01100.JPG

1101: Cutter (2" shaper, Grizzly), hold down, lift table, and the arbor
I made out of a chunk of steel plate, a piece of water pipe, and a
couple of bearings. Have you ever tried to find an arbor?

http://tinyurl.com/a2fkh

https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/files/attachments/9d/17/9f/f3/DSC01101.JPG

1096: Overview, left.

http://tinyurl.com/74r2o

https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/files/attachments/d4/f0/d0/3e/DSC01096.JPG

1095: Overview, right. The timing belt pulleys step the 25,000 rpm
router down to about 6,000 rpm for the shaper cutter.

http://tinyurl.com/9bp9a

https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/files/attachments/f3/dd/cf/47/DSC01095.JPG

1098: This is a slam suppressor. It's used on thinks like big cedar
chests and the like to let the lid down slowly under hydraulic control.
Since I'm doing a climb cut into the bridge top, this prevents the
cutter from climbing on top of the bridge and eating me. A very good
thing.

http://tinyurl.com/cm62m

https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/files/attachments/c5/f6/f4/0a/DSC01098.JPG

1053: The pneumatic foot switch which controls the lift table.

http://tinyurl.com/bqx6l

https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/files/attachments/f7/d8/e0/df/DSC01053.JPG

It ain't pretty, but the silly thing works about as well as I could
have hoped. Oh yes, the highly sophisticated cutter feed consists of
grabbing the router handle, pressing the trigger switch with my index
finger, and pulling against the slam suppressor resistance until the
carriage hits the stop. Very high tech.

And there you have it.
Ron N