Capstan angle -- Conrad

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 20:41:06 -0500

At 15:51 4/18/2005, you wrote:
>Hi Conrad
>
>I posted this a couple years back.  A rather neat  applet that shows how
>lever arm lengths change and how torque works in action.  Lots of ways of
>playing around with the lever in the applet.
>
>http://www.ngsir.netfirms.com/englishhtm/Torque.htm

Neat applet, but it IMMHO is too simple for a proper representation of an
angled capstan.  If I translate my gut feelings, and some of the other
applied to the top of the capstan is only equal to the force felt by the
keystick at the bottom of the capstan if/when the capstan is perpendicular
to the keystick.

  ANY angle of the capstan throws another factor into the equation which
the applet does not include.  Call out a vector squadron...

Conrad Hoffsommer

Early to rise: early to bed;
Makes a man healthy, and socially dead.