Capstan angle

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 19:11:44 -0700

If I understand Phil's explanation (and my small experiment), the KR is
a function of the combination of the contact point with the key and
contact point of the top of the capstan with the wippen heal.  On a
straight up capstan there is not difference.  If the capstan is angled
back at a 45o angle, the KR as measured from the very top of the capstan
will not be equal to the KR as measured from a point on the key directly
below the point of contact with the wippen heal.  It will be something
between the contact point with the key and the point directly below the
contact point with the wippen heal.  Therefore, angling the capstan does
lower the ratio (assuming the the same contact point on the wippen), you
just don't get the full benefit of the new position vis a vis the
contact point with the key.  But maybe someone can provide the math.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of V T
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2005 6:08 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Capstan angle

Hi David,

David Love wrote:
I'm not sure why that wouldn't improve the key ratio.
You have a straight up capstan with a key ratio of,
say .52 (using the Stanwood method).  You relocate the
capstan keeping the contact point with the wippen heel
the same but moving the capstan key contact point
closer to the balance rail by angling the capstan.
The measured key ratio will now be less than .52 and
the overall SWR will have decreased as will.

I would like to backtrack to see how you measure the
key ratio.  Using Stanwood's method, you would wrap a
piece of lead wire weighing 10g around the capstan.
You may be tempted to wrap the wire around the capstan
so that it rests on the key stick.  Now, if you have
angled the capstan, this method will imply that you
have changed the key ratio, but actually you haven't.
The 10g mass should be placed right on top of the
capstan exactly where it contacts the heel.  Only with
a 90 degree capstan angle will you get the same result
regardless of where you place the wire.  Does this
explain the contradiction?

=====================================
David Love wrote:
I'm not sure I even understand what is meant by

"What they have accomplished is to move the
contact point between the top of the capstan and the
wippen heel a little closer to the balance point, so
that the key ratio has changed."

Do you mean by virtue of the capstan leaning it now
contacts the wippen heal on the front edge of the top
of the capstan?  I would say that is probably
insignificant.  Much less, anyway, than the
repositioning of the capstan/key contact point.

David Love
======================================

Take a heel with a 16mm felt length.  Assume a capstan
with an 8mm diameter.  If the factory did a nice job
and the capstan was centered on the felt, there is now
4mm of free space between the edge of the capstan and
each end of the felt.  If you keep a 90 degree capstan
angle, you will run into trouble once you move the
capstan 4mm or more.  If you tilt the capstan so that
you are making contact with the edge of the capstan,
you can change that 4mm to almost 8mm.  Assuming a 7mm
move, an average key will change its ratio
approximately 6%.

The next thing that happens has to do with the wippen
ratio.  As you move the contact point on the heel, you
are reducing the ratio of the wippen as well.  Let's
assume a factory installed wippen ratio of
95mm/65mm=1.46.  Now, let's change the 65mm number to
65+7=72mm.  This gives a wippen ratio of 1.32 ... a
10% change.

The combined effect is a 15% strike ratio reduction,
if I haven't made a math mistake (I am prone to that).
As you see from the example, the change of ratio comes
from two places; the change of the capstan contact
point with the heel has a bigger effect on the wippen
ratio than the key ratio, but both contribute
significantly.

So, my opinion is that the entry point of the capstan
is not a factor, but the contact point with the heel
is.

Vladan