Dorsey's pianist's piano purchaseable....

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:43:17 -0700 (PDT)

Dear List,
    Fred DeLand started subbing for Roy bargy in the
Whiteman orchestra in 1929, at age 13 (!)  He went on
to play for Ted Lewis, then the Dorsey Orchestra when
Sinatra was with them. He also did solo gigs in
New York and Chicago, and was a close
friend/asociate/pupil of Art Tatum.  At one time he
was considered the "best all-around pianist in
New York". Considering what he showed me a few years
ago, in his 80's, I have no doubt about it !
     His family has asked me to find a  buyer for his
piano, a 9', 1929 Everett. Everetts are excellent
pianos. This one is in "very good" unrestored
condition. Perfect bridges. Restrung neatly probably
20 years ago, but the pins are loose. Soft tone,
which, since there is good bearing  along all the
bridge I could reach, is likely due to the very cheap,
super-soft hammers someone put on it, which are worn
to nibs. Wessel Nickel and Gross action. Massive ash
beams beneath, criss-crossed in a  sturdy lattice
pattern. All joints soliod and tight. Extremely sturdy
constructioin ( heavier than Steinway ).
     If you want a high-quality 9 footer, but don't
want to pay Steinway prices, this would be a very good
bet. I have an Everett, and it is superb .
Price: $3,300.
     Thump