Mensurix

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 16:26:41 -0400

Bernhard wrote:
>You are right, since it is a commercial program,
>i don´t publish exactly what i am doing, but i
>hope the information i gave here is at least
>more than nothing.

Well, actually, what you've given doesn't do
anything to describe the model which is the basis
of your software. You've merely listed some
mathematical devices used in generating equations
and solving them. There seems to be some
confusion here between model concepts (physical
representation), their mathematical
representation, solution methods, and software
development, which are all different and can be
described independently. A lot more of these
details need to be revealed before a model can be
considered a serious design tool, as opposed to
something akin to a "sim-city" computer game.
This is not say it is the latter, just that
without the information we're in the dark. The
onus is on the seller of a commercial design tool
to convince the customer, and that cannot be done
with smoke and mirrors.

>The model is derived by higher order
>differentials, solved with usual difference
>schemes. All what is necessary to build such a
>model can be found in Klaus Jürgen Bathe´s book
>"Finite Element Methods".

FEM is simply a generic technique for continuous
systems. Giving that as the basis for a model is
like saying you've used Newton's equations of
motion to solve a dynamics problem, or Snell's
Law to solve an optics problem. Not very
informative. In order to communicate what's
actually been done in the model you have to
explain how these techniques have been used to
represent the physics, what assumptions have been
made, how the parameters have been derived, how
the results are tested, and so on.

Actually, how long does the model take to do one
run? If FEM is used as the computational basis it
must take quite a while to analyse even one
scenario, unless the software model just picks
from a library of results of a few days worth of
pre-generated FEM simulations. FEM models run
real slow if they are complex enough to be
realistic.

>Hysteresis is not a phenomene discovered by
>Stulov, it is relatively common used in finite
>element models.

Of course hysteresis wasn't discovered by Stulov.
It's a fundamental physical phenomenon. And it
has nothing to do with FEM or any other modelling
technique. Stulov was (one of) the first to
include hysteresis in a hammer model.

>But have you ever seen Yamaha open their black
>boxes when using physical modeling in their
>synthesizers or Bill Gates giving the source
>code for his Windows Kernel?

This analogy is not valid. The success of
Yamaha's physical modelling can be determined by
the end result. Does the customer like the
synthesized tones? That's what they're buying.
They could care less how those tones are
generated in order to assess the value of the
product.  Ditto source code. Either software
works properly and efficiently or it doesn't.
Again the results can be used directly for
assessment. In the case of an applied model that
is supposed to predict the real behaviour of a
physical system customer assessment must be based
on a validation process for which transparency is
essential. I'm not convinced that you've been
through this lengthy process, or else you would
not hestitate to reveal the results and use them
in the advertising, even if you choose for
whatever reason not to publish the model details
themselves for critical scientific assessment by
experts. Anything less than that and the model is
essentially useless and its commercial
distribution is simply a  software marketing
exercise. The $ value/worth of a predictive model
is derived from confidence in the predictions and
how they are derived. This can be explained
without revealing source code or exact details of
every equation. There is always room to conceal
some of the critical information that's needed to
reproduce a model, thereby protecting commercial
interests. [This I know from long experience with
commerical models.]

As I said last time, if the model is really
capable of accurate predictions of the factors
claimed, then it is new and valuable. The details
behind it would be interesting and should be
published, along with the results of your testing.

Stephen
--
Dr Stephen Birkett, Associate Professor
Department of Systems Design Engineering

E3 Room 3158
tel: 519-888-4567 Ext. 3792
fax: 519-746-4791
PianoTech Lab Room E3-3160 Ext. 7115