Bass String Replacement

Joseph Freeman josephfreeman@hotmail.com
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 14:18:19 -0400

Another Potter student here and I just did a universal string =
replacement on
D#3 (two string unison) on my old console about three weeks ago.  =
Although
Potter doesn't address the procedure directly, he does refer you to the
Schaff instructions.

=20

I had two problems:=20

=20

I had a hard time measuring the length of the winding on the original
string.  You're supposed to allow for stretch when measuring, but =
because I
had removed some of the winding from the top of the string to attempt a =
knot
(I was following directions in a recent Journal.  The break was in the
speaking length.)   The winding ends were not even on the other strings. =
think some of the other strings were replacements, too.

=20

The second problem was making the cuts in the winding.  I wasn't sure =
what
to use, so I went with a new pair of needle nose pliers with a wire =
cutting
section.  I used to do a little electrical work and was pretty good at
taking insulation off of thin wires if I didn't have a pair of =
strippers.
Well, let's just say it wasn't as neat as I would have liked.  I'm still =
not
sure what type of cutter to use.  (A pair of diagonal cutters or even
insulation strippers?)  Then, trying to start unwinding the winding =
proved
difficult, but went pretty quick after finally getting the end off the =
core.

=20

The result was a string that gives me a "wild" sounding unison when =
striking
the note with a firm blow, but it settles quickly.  I think this is =
either
from the windings being the wrong length (by a mm or two) or I may have
loosened the windings on the core.  When playing with light to medium =
blows
I can hear it, but it's not too bad.  I would never leave this on a =
better
piano, but since the rest of the strings in this sections are so uneven,
it's hard to pick out the new string unless you know which one it is.
Given the condition of the piano and how uneven the strings sound =
anyway, I
could have lived with the result if I had hired a tech to replace the
string.  I do plan on a re-do in the near future.

=20

I hope this helps.   =20

=20

Joseph Freeman