Charles Walter peeve

Steve Grattan lostchordclinic@ameritech.net
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 08:44:48 -0400

Hi Dave,

Being a CRW dealer and having sold in excess of 200 of them - there is a =
simple way to remove these actions. I never lower action bolts or bent =
the studs.  I use a big pair of Channel Locks - put one jaw behind the =
action bracket and the other on the end of the stud.  A small squeeze =
and the action pops out.  I would rather have the action that tight than =
the problems that come with a 'moving' action when the pianist uses the =
pedals.  When replacing the action - I use a 3/4" square piece of wood =
and a rubber mallet to seat it.
Good luck!

Steve Grattan
Lost Chord Clinic=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Piannaman@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 2:54 AM
  Subject: Charles Walter peeve

  Hi list,

  I like Charles Walter pianos.  I work on many of them.  I think they =
are solidly built, and the overall quality is pretty good.  But there is =
one thing that has been bugging me about the verticals..  Every action =
I've removed from a console or studio is wedged in to the point where I =
have to lower the bottom-ball bolts in order to pull the action out from =
under the action bracket bolts.  In order to get to those bolts, one =
must take out a neighboring key or two.  That requires removal of the =
key-stop rail and the fallboard(4 screws and one nut to remove both). =20

  I replaced a bass string the other day, which took about 10 minutes or =
less.  Taking the action out and getting the whole thing back together =
took substantially more time than that.  Three times as long, I'm =
embarassed to admit.  Of course, having the whole thing back together, =
then dropping one of the fallboard screws under the keys didn't help =
much....}-;

  Next time I won't remove the action.  I'll just tighten the pedal way =
down to get the dampers out of the way. =20

  I can't think of a good reason why the actions are wedged in so tight =
on these pianos.  Any insight on this?

  Thanks,

  Dave Stahl