Bridge pin angles

Wed, 20 Apr 2005 14:48:27 -0400

Phil, Ron, and the rest of you -

Phil, are you discounting, or unaware of the Wapin system of bridge
pinning?  I know Ron is aware of it, though, given his reaction to my
raising it in the context of a previous thread about downbearing, I got the
sense that he was not favorably disposed towards it, reasons
unknown.  There is some information on their
site  http://www.wapin.com/science1.htm , though I don't think it's
thorough enough to add any insight into understanding exactly what is
taking place at the bridge termination.   The patents are descriptive,but,
as patents, don't provide the information we would want.
(http://www.uspto.gov/patft/index.html - Patent #6,100,457).   Assuming
that there is some merit to the claims made, it is nevertheless frustrating
and disappointing that the business model and licensing agreements employed
seem to preclude any useful input into a discussion such as this by those
who might otherwise  have something to offer.

As I see it, you need to decide, from the beginning, whether your inquiry
is directed towards understanding the mechanical processes at work, or the
more practical aspect of building something that will continue to function
for a reasonable length of time.  For the most part, questions of loosening
bridge pins and crushing notches and caps are of the latter
direction.  That an angled bridge pin might be more prone to causing cap
damage than a vertical one is helpful to understanding piano forensics, but
it doesn't, by itself, explain the possible differences in acoustic
properties of between each.

Phil, you said:
>If there was no side offset at all and the pin was straight up and down
>then it could easily slide as the bridge moved and the downbearing would
>be enough to keep it seated on the bridge at all times.  Of course, it
>wouldn't sound too good.

First, to round out the model, let's assume that the notching is exactly
bisecting the pin, not forward or behind.  AND, let's assume that even with
significant (within reason) downbearing, the notch edge does not
deform.  OK.  Why wouldn't it sound good? Actual, "for-real" downbearing
would exert force into the bridge surface. (Oh, also forget about the
impedance- related issues for now).  Imagine a kind of "pre Big-Bang"
scenario where the bridge-string segment is on the same plane as the
sounding length, just touching the bridge.  A significant amount of impact
wave (upward displacement) will escape over the bridge and not be
reflected.  The string will buzz on the bridge. As you increase the bearing
angle, you increase the proportion of attack energy that is reflected,
reducing the amount that is available to lift the string off the
bridge.  Eventually you would reach a bearing angle which would reflect
virtually all the (vertical) attack energy.  Remember, so far, no
pin.  With extreme magnification, what would we see at this
termination?  Before the point of "total energy reflection", some of that
attack wave would escape over the edge, aided by the wire's own
stiffness.    If it were possible to weaken the wire at the exact
intersection of the bridge edge (like a mechanical pivot), the
inharmonicity of the string would be affected (lower), as would the amount
of energy reflected (higher), but, assuming that this weakening had no
affect on the wire's elasticity, how does this energy transfer to the
bridge?  Uh oh!  We're approaching dangerous waters! Let's not go there
yet.   Instead of weakening the wire, we create an angle, which effectively
stiffens the wire behind the point we wish to flex.  Again, looking very
close-up, if we were just dealing with a horizontal termination, how would
changing the density of that edge affect the wave energy?  Some energy is
absorbed by the mass of the termination, apart from any resonance or
flexing transfer further along the system.

With sufficient angle (downbearing), the string would not lift off the
bridge, but, depending upon the frictional coefficient between string and
bridge surface, there would be some sliding side to side.  That whole part
of the strings wave form requires a vertical termination.  A bridge pin
(vertical).  How much force is required to prevent wave energy from
slipping around terminating pin?  How much, if any less than the 8 degrees
at the lower end of Ron's tolerance?

So, assuming you had adequate down and side bearing, what's changed by
slanting the bridge pin?  I don't know.  If you assume that the "clamping"
mechanism spoken of is an actual part of the interaction of the energy wave
and the bridge, i.e, that the string "lifts" the bridge, than that slant
would seem essential.  Or if you thought that, even with positive front
bearing, the string would tend to lift off the bridge (slide up the pin),
the slant would be critical.  If, on the other hand, the behavior at the
termination is more pull (pulse) than lift, the slant seems to become less
critical than the side bearing, without which some of the energy of the
longitudinal (I'm sure I'm misusing this term) wave would escape.

If there is any accuracy to the preceding, then the other issues are our
attempts to deal with real world imperfection.  Is there any difference
between a properly terminated string (side and down bearing) and one where
the role of down bearing is fulfilled by the clamping of the front pin?  I
don't know, but it seems like a reasonable question, and one which, with
the right equipment, can be measured.

As has been previously raised, we use downbearing for two disparate
purposes, termination and board loading.  Is it possible for the
requirements for each to conflict?

Now, as to how them waves git into the bridge, and beyond...

David Skolnik
"Honey?  Where's my super [flame] suit?
Family's favorite quote (modified) from The Incredibles