regulating screws

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 15:36:48 EDT

<<  What can be done about old regulating screws that break off  just below
the 'eye'   ?    They usually turn a couple times then snap off.  The only
option I seem to have is to turn the button below ,  but it is hard to reach and I
dont know of a tool to use to do that.    This is a 1906 upright player. >>

When faced with old screws that are tight enough to break,  it helps to turn
them back and forth a little, gradually increasing the amount of rotation.
This keeps the corrosion from galling up in the threads and loosens the screw
without breaking.
   Once broken, heat is the best thing to use on the stub before trying to
turn it out.  Heat it up until you can smell the wood.

Ed Foote RPT