regulating screws

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 14:30:23 -0700

That's a good point.  Make sure your not using the old fashion=
 let-off drivers...I'm not sure they're even making them=
 anymore?

David I.

Original message
From: Piano Forte Supply
Subject: regulating screws

Two comments on regulating screws:

 Firstly, cut down on breakage by using the right tool.  There is=
 nothing like those good old rigid regulating screwdrivers to=
 break off eye screws.  A proper regulating screw driver has some=
 "wobble" on the eye screw, allowing you to turn the screw=
 without being exactly in line with it.  Better yet is a tool=
 with a flexible shaft, allowing wonderful access from "bad"=
 angles.  See:
http://www.pianofortesupply.com/screwdriverinfo.html

If a screw breaks off and can't be turned out, I prefer to drive=
 it through with a fine punch instead of trying to dig it out. =
 This is faster, more secure, and leaves a smaller hole to fix. =
 I use hammer shanks to fix this situation, drilling in from the=
 side of the rail so that the new screw goes through cross grain,=
 not end grain wood.

If you drill a blind hole from the back side of the rail, this=
 repair is essentially invisible

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply