cleaning brass

firman1 firman1@prodigy.net
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 19:49:21 -0500

Small brass pieces are cleaned in either of two solutions available from
clockmaker's supplies: Ammoniated or Non-Ammoniated, bought usually as a
concentrate diluted with water. There is some discussion and controversy
about the effects of ammonia on brass, such as intergranular stress
cracking.....but that only worries us clock guys. As for me, I clean all my
brass first in the non-ammoniated cleaner, then wither polish with Nevr Dull
or brasso, depends on the part.
Check out www.slarose.com .