cleaning brass

Mark Potter bases-loaded76@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 13:30:31 -0700 (PDT)

Paul McCloud <pmc033@earthlink.net> wrote:Hi, Mark.  I knew you were the one who posted about the brass cleaner, but I couldn't find your post in the archives.  I guess it's on the blink for the moment.  I couldn't even search the word "piano"!  Anyway, there was a second chemical in that post, and I've got some, but can't remember what it was.  Maybe you could post the original formula.  If you don't have it anymore, I'll post it tomorrow 'cause I printed it out.  It is truly amazing stuff.  Thanks for the tip years ago.
    Paul McCloud'
    San Diego

Hi Paul -

Glad it has worked so well for you!  I agree - it is amazing.  I did a cursory search for that concoction in my shop and came up empty.  My memory ain't what it used to be, and it was never real good to begin with!  I seem to recall there was some sodium bisulfate in there, too?  I do think that I ordered the two chemicals from a place called ChemLab, if I recall correctly.  If you do have the formula, or eventually locate it in the archives, I would be most appreciative if you could repost it for those of us with short memories ;-)

Mark Potter

----- Original Message -----
From: Mark Potter
To: Pianotech
Sent: 04/20/2005 6:31:43 PM
Subject: RE: cleaning brass

Hi Greg -

I believe the long-ago post regarding cleaning brass with a chromic acid solution may have been mine.  Paul has it right in his post.  I have been using it for years, and it really works great.  Inexpensive, too.  It was so long ago I bought the chromic acid I will have to check for who the supplier was.  The same gallon tub of the solution has served me for app. 10 years.

First you must remove the finish from the brass, either with stripper or soaking in lacquer thinner or acetone.  Then 10-20 seconds in the chromic acid and the brass is incredibly brite and clean.  Longer than 30 seconds and the brass will be smaller - DAMHIK!!!  I do a double rinse to ensure there is no remaining acid that may continue to act on the brass, the second rinse being a mild TSP bath.  A very short buff is all that is required.

Obviously, chromic acid is like any other strong chemical - take all health precautions.

Mark Potter

Greg Newell <gnewell@ameritech.net> wrote:
Paul,
I attempted the search and came up with nothing. Would you mind
scanning it for us? Or perhaps finding the original post? This could be
very timely for me! Thanks in advance!!!
Greg Newell

At 04:35 PM 4/20/2005, you wrote:
>If you search the archives, you can find a post that has a recipe for brass
>cleaning solution. I can't recall the author just now, but I have it
>printed out at work. The subject of the post is something like this:
>fabulous brass tarnish remover. It consists of warm water, chromic acid
>and an alkaline buffer (can't remember exactly). Brain fag... Anyway, 10
>seconds in this soup, and your corrosion is history. And, you won't burn
>your hands in the stuff (wear gloves anyway! It will stain anything a
>yellow color). If you leave things in it long enough, they'll disappear.!
>You won't know how you did without it.
> Paul McCloud
> San Diego

Greg Newell