Chinese pianos

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 22:44:14 -0600

Wayne,
     I've prepped some Wyman (Beijing) grands and verticals that were in
good shape and appeared to be a very good value. There are design issues,
but the plant is responsive. Block/flange fit is easily remedied with shims
or epoxy paste. The hammers aren't quarried.
     Unfortunately, it wouldn't be accurate to generalize about all Chinese
pianos at this point. Unlike 15 years ago, when it was easy to put them all
in one quality bracket. Now, from what I've seen at the shows and heard
from other techs, there are "good values" and "needs improvement" and
"doesn't play well with...... anyone", across the board.

Bread and butter for us for decades to come,
Say "Che-che",

Regards,
Guy