Soundboard floating - an idea whose time has come (Modified by KentSwaffo...

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 10:26:43 EDT

It's interesting how many creative designs we  keep seeing from the past.
Fenton Murray & I are working on a 1901  Bosendorfer with a piano forte type
action. It's His client  & the  piano lives in a victorian in the Santa Cruz area
which is   good setting for it
   It's 6 ft 7 . It has the entire  belly  rail in a float  It also has cut
off bars & a fanned rib pattern with  yes ... significantly crowned ribs.  The
thin floating belly rail Approx 1  1/2 inch thick when laminated with the
board is  attached  by bolts to the plate in 2 spots & is also one cut off is
connected to the  belly (Strip) is  very unconventional This  was ,IMO ,employed
to  allow access for the long keys & design of the  Pianoforte action to
slide way in the action cavity.. The belly strip is made of spruce &  partially
capped with beech & is approx 3 or more inches wide.
  We replaced the spruce cutoffs with maple for stiffer  support. This has a
bass cut off & also a shorter one in the back end sort  of on the curve. The
ribs oriented starting a peculiar fashion, but hey Who Am  to criticize. Pics
to follow
  Fun Stuff
    Dale

It  goes back further than that. Some time back we put a new board in a
pre-1850
Broadwood flat strung grand. The board floated along the side to  free up the
area around bass bridge and give it at least some  mobility.

Del