Chickering 123 Grand

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Sat, 23 Apr 2005 09:47:21 -0500

Strings are the real limiting factor in my experience (rust, elasticity,
etc.) If they hold, bring it up.
=20
The soundboard "loading" will only be a couple of additional pounds, =
total
system string tension increases maybe 1.5 to 3.0 percent, is my
understanding.
=20
Of course, if you hear a giant snapping sound and the whole piano folds
itself in half, you will know that you should not have done it! Such =
pianos
usually cannot be reinflated.
=20
Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On =
Behalf
Of Paul McCloud
Sent: Saturday, April 23, 2005 6:52 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Chickering 123 Grand

List:
    I've got a Chickering 123 piano, and was wondering if this thing =
will
hold a pitch (and stay together) at A-440.  The plate has a decal on it =
that
says A-435.  It's in pretty good shape for its age, has plenty of crown,
bridges are good, little rust.   Should I risk pulling it up?
    Thanks,
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego
=20