Overdamper questions

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 24 Apr 2005 10:19:20 -0700

Steve said: "Also the tech replaced the dampers with normal V and W's in =
the bass and =3D
underdamper felt in the treble."

Obviously, the other tooner/teck had no clue! It is STUPID to try and =
get an over-damper piano to damp like a modern piano, IMHO. It was =
designed to have "over-ring", so that it would sound like the "ancient =
instruments". Modern action type pianos were made at the same factory, =
at the same time, so there was a reason!<G> (Supply and DEMAND).
Of course, the first order of business, is to get the key lead problem =
corrected. I'd do that first and then see if you want to correct the =
damper "problem". If the client likes the way it sounds, as/is, then I'd =
leave it alone and boogie.<G> Of course a decent attempt at regulation =
is in order. There are many different configurations, in these actions, =
in regards to let-off. Careful examination will reveal how this is =
accomplished. As Calin said, look in the BACK of the action, as well. =
I've found, putting the action on the work bench and looking from the =
end, oft-times reveals the intent.
Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police