Bridge pin angles

Mon, 25 Apr 2005 03:35:57 -0400

Phil -

Thanks for taking the time to pursue the experiments.  I will try to
replicate them. A few comments:

Part of my own soapbox, so to speak, relates to the way measurements are
taken with Lowell, though it would likely not alter your main
observations.  There are a number of ways the gauge readings can be
misread, but that's mostly a different discussion.  Inaccuracies not
withstanding, it might be interesting to take additional readings during
the experiment, to see if measurable change in bearing occurs.

I recently had occasion to measure bridge pin angles.  I found a useful
visual aid, as follows:  using a needle and a very small (but strong
magnet), I apply the magnet to the front or back of the pin, then attach
the needle to the exposed (non-string) side of the pin.  A little care
making sure the needle lies flat against the pin, and taking reading with
whatever tool used is much easier.

>>If we want to try to establish which of these factors is contributing to
>>bridge or pin damage then I think we need to come up with some
>>experiments which attempt to isolate the various factors.

Exactly.  Thanks again

David Skolnik