Measuring string/bridge gap

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 21:11:22 +0100

Hi Greg

I dont know if  there is a tool (reasonably priced)  specially designed
for this kind of measurment, but you could easily enough modify a
digital micrometer to do the job. You'd have to cut away the non moving
end of the micrometer and fit the rest to a jig that would sit above the
bridge so that the micrometer itself could slide over the entire width
of the bridge. Attaching a pin to the mircometers adjustable end long
enough to reach the bridge you could start at the highest part of the
bridge with the pin touching the bridge and the micrometer turned wide
open. Then as you slide across the bridge top you could stop at any
point and turn the micrometer down, lowering the pin to meet the depth
of the indentation.  The readout would be reversed of course... but its
easy enough to subtract the difference.

Cheers
RicB

---------------------

If there is an indentation in the bridge cap that is
less deep than the diameter of the string, how would a
feeler gage detect the gap?  Wouldn't it run into the
side of the string and stop, yet there would be a
0.0xx inch gap under the string?

If I wanted to use a dial indicator, how would I mount
it to get an accurate pre and post seating measurement
at the pin?  What kind of tip would sit reliably on
the string next to the pin?  Is there a commercially
available tip for the job, or would I (we?) have to
make one?  Would a magnetic indicator base sit
reliably on adjacent strings on one or the other side
of the bridge?

Is there another way?

I'll tinker around and figure this out (someday!), but
was hoping one of my fellow listers had already hoed
this row.

Thanks,

Greg Graham
Happy to have aced the written exam at MARC
Brodheadsville, PA