refinishing frustrations

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 19:36:06 -0700 (PDT)

Do absolutely NOTHING until you have a good
carbon-filter mask, gloves and goggles on hand!
Strip. I use chemicals and a brass brush ( fine, soft,
as is found in groceries for pot-scrubbing---not the
harder, denser type as usually sold for stripping! )
     Do everything with the grain direction, of
course.
     This gets the filler and stain out of the pores
as much as possible. Old filler witn stripping
chemicals in it can cause finishing problems, later.
Wipe with rags in alcohol or lacquer thinner. Finish
with paper towels in same. If you don't have a
stripping table ( a very good idea ) do it over big
pieces of cardboard from the furniture store, such as
couches are shipped in. Do youir stripping in thje
shade, but leave the cardboard in the sun to dry,
evaporating out the toxic solvents before you discard
( or re-use ) them.  NEVER try to sand trhe woodto an
even color! You will only make it uglier, and thin the
veneer. DO bleach with chlorine bleach to remove
aniline strain, oxalic acid for ring marks, hydrogen
peroxide to lighten the wood itself.
    Stain. Seal. Fill. Seal. Build topcoats. That's my
way. I've only used lacquer in the past, but am
interested in waterbased. Hmmmmmm. Think I'll check
the "Pianolac" website now.
     Thump.

Go buy Biob Flexners' books on finishing and read.