refinishing frustrations--P.S.

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 22:57:51 -0400

Gordon,
         Thanks for the tips! I have sanded to even color and it is as you
predicted. It is certainly uglier and will have to be made dark again to
hide the unevenness. My biggest question is whether you bleach and stain
every re-finish job or just those pianos that you want to lighten? I
thought I would want to leave this piano the same color it came to me and
therefor I wouldn't have to remove as much in the way of stain or old dye.
Is this a wrong approach? Should each and every job be as devoid of color
as possible before proceeding?

Greg Newell