refinishing frustrations

tlneely tlneely@mindspring.com
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:44:40 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Hello all,

     Here's the method I discovered that works very well for me when refinishing.
 Using the stripper of your choice ( I use the orange so-called"safe stripper"),
and a box of cotton t shirt material (avaliable as shop rags at you friendly home
improvenent paint dept,). Apply a liberal coat of stripper to the surface. and
then place a rag on top of the stripper, matting it down into the stripper with
your brush until it is soaked. If you want, you can apply more stripper over
the rag.
     Now, here's the magic. After the time required for the stripper to do its work
(read the label), just peel off the rag. Off comes the rag, stripper, and old finish
in one easy step. Discard the rag safely. Repeat if necessary.
     I usually end up with a surface that is virtually ready for finish, although I
usually do wash it as per the instructions on the stripper label just to make sure
 the surface is truly free of all residue, and lightly sand to remove any grain
 hairs that have been raised.

Try it , you'll like it!

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Newell <gnewell@ameritech.net>
Sent: Apr 26, 2005 10:23 PM
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>, MPT <Mpt-list@masterpianotechnicians.org>
Subject: refinishing frustrations

list,
         I wonder if you all (as many opinions as I can get) would
enlighten me on what you do in the stripping process. I'm specifically
interested in everything that comes before repairs and coloring etc.
Perhaps more to the point is whether or not you are seeking to make the
wood as bare as possible i.e. devoid of any color, or are you simply
removing topcoat, then repairing, even out color and re-topcoat? It seems
that my attempts seem to bring the finished product darker than I would
like by attempting to make everything the same color. I have only removed
finish in the past but am contemplating bleaching. Is this necessary in
order to get the lighter colors I'm after? Would you be kind enough to
describe exactly the steps and materials and tools you use in the stripping
process? Thanks in advance.

Greg Newell
Greg's piano Fort�
mailto:gnewell@ameritech.net