New long bridge installation in piano

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 11:56:35 -0400

You are going to have to yank the plate to remove the old long bridge =
and install a new one. I've never removed a long bridge from a board =
without destroying it - but then I'm always intending on building and =
installing a new soundboard. I'm sure it is possible to remove the old =
bridge while preserving the original soundboard - but it would seem a =
long tedious process to me. Sounds like an interesting situation - =
please keep us advised.

I'll be interested in hearing if others have techniques to remove long =
bridge without damaging soundboard - one thing that comes to mind is to =
grind it off with a router.

Any idea on what caused the bridge to crack like that? Do they axe =
things for Jesus?

Terry Farrell
  List,
  I recently ran into a situation with a 6 yr old Bergman TG-150 grand. =
As the pastor unlocked the church door to let me in he was telling me =
how the Lord blessed him with this piano several years ago. The first =
thing I see is broken bass strings hanging all out of the piano still =
attached at one end or the other. Six were broken in all. Out here in =
rural Georgia these "snake handlers" regularly flog the piano for Jesus =
so the broken strings were no surprise. What was surprising was the huge =
gaping split in the extreme treble section of the bridge. It was split =
all the way down to the soundboard, cap and root. If the strings were =
removed you could stick your finger in the crack. As the piano was under =
10 yrs old I contacted Young Chang to see about a warranty repair or =
replacement of the piano. They asked me to submit an estimate for repair =
and they would send me a new long bridge. Can you glue a bridge onto a =
soundboard in the piano? Can you remove an old bridge from a soundboard =
that you will be reusing? Should a proper repair also include installing =
a new board with bridge attached? Any information and or opinions would =
be greatly appreciated. I am in the process of tooling up for board =
replacement in my shop but have not yet done one. I have a Conover 66 =
that I will be installing one in after taking Andre Bolduc's class this =
year at the Annual PTG conference. I do not have a large go-bar set up.
  Thanks for any help you may be able to offer,

  Britt West