Factory Overstrike

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:53:15 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>I experienced a new low today. I did a bunch of work on a 6' Hyundai
>action (10 yo) and was set to do a bench regulation. Using my pre-measured
>string heights, I found that I obviously made a gross mistake with my
>measurement somehow. So I drove the 40 miles back to the piano and
>re-measured - my original measurements were correct. The hammers on this
>thing were bored to produce a full quarter-inch overstrike.
>
>What are the correct words here - this is amazing - did they build all
>their pianos this way? Don't they just have some jig in the factory where
>all hammers for this model are drilled the same way? Did somebody's finger
>get in there and jacked the jig up a quarter inch?
>
>Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Maybe I just haven't been around
>long enough!
>
>Terry Farrell

Hi Terry,

Could you clarify what you mean by overstrike?  Are the hammers square to
the shank?  Or are they square to the strings with a short bore?

We had a discussion about this a few months back.  You might check the
archives.  Some of it ended up in the Journal Q & A Roundtable a few months
ago as well.  The Feurich 220 grand that I have (whose agraffes were
recently mentioned) had a very short bore (I don't remember the numbers
offhand, but it may have been more than 1/4 inch), but the hammers were
angled back so that they were striking square to the strings.  As far as I
know this was the original setup.  This is a high quality piano with a
Renner action.  The action regulated properly with things set up this way,
so I have to believe it was deliberate.  This generated a discussion about
whether the 'proper' setup is to have the hammers square to the
shanks.  When I replaced the hammers I duplicated this setup.  The piano
plays and sounds fine.

Phil Ford