Bridge pin angles

V T pianovt@yahoo.com
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:58:11 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Phil,

============
Phil Ford wrote:

2.  Isolating the downbearing.  I think we both
believe that this load by itself is not enough to
damage a hard maple cap.  But I wonder if there's some
mechanism involving the notch edge and angled pin that
would cause the downbearing to indent the cap.  Or if
I'm assuming too large a bearing area and that the
effective bearing area resisting downbearing is small
enough that the cap would be indented.  A simple
experiment might demonstrate whether my belief is true
or false.

Isn't the bridge cap normally angled so as to assure
better string contact at the speaking length notch?
(In other words, the edge of the bridge cap that faces
the speaking length is higher than the edge facing the
back scale.)

Because of that, the pressure may be more concentrated
at the speaking side notch.

Vladan