wippen support springs

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Thu, 28 Apr 2005 08:09:35 EDT

Jack asks:
<< I would like to know some things about wippen support springs. Who uses
them?
Renner,
>>Do companies still continue to use them?

They are common on many European pianos, (I just finished a Wolframm that had
them).

>>Should they be removed?

No.

>>I know they make key weighting difficult.  >>

Actually, not.  If you want to reweigh an action that has these springs,  you
may want to consider undoing the springs, weighting for 8 grams more than
your target, and then re-attaching the springs and using them to bring your final
downweight to target. You can get lighter keys, this way.
   Another approach is to find your optimum frontweight curve which leaves
the downweight approx 6-8 grams heavier than your final target, and use the
springs to both bring down the weight and even out the downweight at the keys.
This is easier than individually adjusting strikeweights.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT