refinishing frustrations

Mark Potter bases-loaded76@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 28 Apr 2005 11:16:44 -0700 (PDT)

Greg Newell <gnewell@ameritech.net> wrote:
 My question comes in fixing what I should not have done and that is sanding to
remove color. This time I haven't sanded through anything and I really
don't think I'm even close to that. I only used 220 grit on a random orbit
sander. Even the edges don't seem thin to me.

Greg - As you are well aware, sanding to even out color is fraught with danger.  Practically impossible to avoid blotchiness.  The problem isn't related to sanding thru the veneer (THAT would be agressive!), but more removal of color in what I suspect is either 1) the high spots, or 2) the denser spots where color won't penetrate as deeply, or mostly likely, both scenarios.

Anyway should I re-strip all
those parts with all three steps and then go after the case with same? In
my mind I need to get this all down to some level of relative sameness
between the parts. Does this sound like a plan?

Without looking at it, this sounds likely to be your best recourse, esp. since you're just talking tinted shellac.  With any luck some of your blotchiness will be eased by this process, as well as your hope in achieving a lighter, more uniform color.  Wish I could offer more, but it is difficult without actually seeing it.
Mark