Bridge pin angle

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Thu, 28 Apr 2005 21:40:27 +0100

Hi Phil

A couple quick comments to these quotes below
------------

>When the humidity decreases the
>/ cap will move back down.  The string may or may not follow it, depending on
/>/ what you believe - another point of discussion.  If the cap material is not
/>/ strong enough (hard enough) then when the cap moves up the string will
/>/ indent itself into the cap and will not move up.  When the cap moves back
/>/ down the string will not be able to follow it because the angle of the
/>/ indentation at the edge of the notch is now greater than the angle that the
/>/ string makes with the bridge, so there is a gap.
/
/Exactly, said angle being easily observed as in the photo I posted../

-----------
This is exactly what I've been describing as negative bearing at the notch.  And, as I've been also saying,
one finds strings in need of seating despite the lack of this condition. Despite the lack of any negative bearing
in any sense of the word.

-----------

>/ I think what is causing the severe indentations is the process of
/>/ repeatedly tapping the strings down over the years.  The bridge goes
/>/ through some number of humidity cycles which causes an indentation.  The
/>/ tech comes along in the dry cycle and taps the strings down.  The next wet
/>/ cycle the cap crushes some more.  And on it goes.  So, not only is tapping
/>/ the strings down a temporary fix, it's making matters worse in the long run.
/
/I agree, and tapping in bridge pins would be even worse./

And just as clearly... when there is no negative bearing of anysort and the strings still need seating,
then tapping strings down most certainly does improve the situation and in a fashion difficult to equate with
temporary.

Cheers
RicB