Bridge pin angle

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Thu, 28 Apr 2005 19:02:38 -0500

> I've not really been following this discussion in all its detail so this
> may be an already expressed opinion but here's what I see happening.
> Under any conditions, with sufficiently angled bridge pin that is
> unnotched, there is no way for the string to ride up the pin--period.
> But as the bridge top expands and contracts the edge of the bridge
> becomes indented more than the top of the bridge because of the
> squeezing with changes in humidity against the bridge pin.  Now when the
> bridge shrinks the line of the indentation at the edge of the bridge
> will not be on the same plane as the top of the bridge.  Because of the
> stiffness of the string and its tendency to want to stay on the plane
> formed by the top of the bridge, the deeper indentation at the edge of
> the bridge can cause a gap to form underneath the string at that point.
> Tapping down the string will cause the string to move, but it is a
> temporary measure.  The string will want to regain it's original shape
> and position.  Over time, and not probably very much time, it will
> unseat itself from the low indentation at the bridge edge reestablishing
> the gap and giving the illusion of it riding up the pin.  Tapping down
> may work for a short time, but it also probably exacerbates the problem
> by further indenting the edge of the bridge.  Either way, the string is
> not climbing the bridge pin and the better solution is to use some kind
> of bridge top material or preparation that makes it less prone to
> indentation.  Delignit material seems to be the hardest in use that I
> know of, but does require a power notcher.
>

> David Love

That's the basic scenario. Additionally, even with a notch cut too
deep, or the edge crushed below the string, the false beats and tone
fuzziness that prompt techs to seat strings don't happen if the pin
is made solid in the cap. The pin being loose is what makes the
problem noises happen. The cap damage makes it possible for the
loose pin to do it's thing.