Measuring string/bridge gap

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Thu, 28 Apr 2005 17:56:17 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>>I think the feeler gage check is only going to be effective if there is a
>>fairly large length of the string that is above the cap (such as if the
>>string is entirely off the cap and only touching at the pins) so that
>>there is room to get the gage in.
>
>This is the only case that counts, isn't it?

For demonstrating that strings can't climb bridge pins, yes.  If people
also want to convince themselves (using some sort of gage) that the string
can be above the edge of the notch while still seated at the middle of the
cap, then the feeler gage may not be the best tool.

>  If the string is in contact with the cap anywhere, it is still on the
> cap and not up the pins.
>

>>For strings that are above the cap only locally at the pins then we may
>>need to come up with a different means of measurement, such as the dial
>>indicator you mention below.
>
>We have one, or at least an indicator. Seating the string at the pin  can
>produce a visible movement, an audible sound, and a measurable drop in
>pitch, even after the feeler gage (or whatever) shows the string in
>contact with the center of the cap.

I agree.  But seeing a measurement on a calibrated tool is somehow
reassuring (at least to me, but then I'm a numbers person).  Telling
someone that you put a dial indicator on the string next to the bridge pin,
tapped it down, and now see a measurable change of .005 inches on a dial
indicator, is somehow more convincing to me than saying I tapped the string
and saw it move down.

>  I kind of like the dial indicator idea to test this. Setting one
> indicator on a suspect string, centered between pin rows, and another on
> the speaking length, as close to the bridge pin as possible, take
> readings, seat the string at the bridge, and take another pair of
> readings to see what moved where, and how much. I plan to try this before
> tear down on the next piano in. Maybe it will produce something
> meaningful to some of us - maybe not. If you guys come up with something,
> please let us know.
>
>Ron N

OK.

Phil F