Difficulty Hearing Beats While Setting Temperament

Jerry Cohen emailforjc@yahoo.com
Sun, 07 Aug 2005 08:07:01 -0400

Robert,

In addition to Susan's suggestions, here are a few more.

Perhaps you should try tuning with 4ths and 5ths to start. You might find
those beats easier to hear in the beginning. Then as your ear gets stronger,
try the faster beating 3rds and 6ths.

If you can hear the beats when you first start to tune, and then they
disappear after a few minutes, then just stop and walk away for a few
minutes, or even 30 minutes. You are wasting your time if you try to
continue. Each time you return, you will hear the beats for a little longer.
It feels like a muscle getting stronger. But be honest. If you can't hear
the beats, walk away. You cannot force it. Everybody learns differently, so
this may not work for you.

Learning aural tuning is worth the struggle, so keep at it.

Jerry Cohen, RPT

NJ Chapter