Early Julius Bluthner

Tue, 01 Feb 2005 09:15:29 +0100

Pierre, Joe, and Conrad

Whilst I am sure our Belgium friend does fine work indeed, this
particular piece will remain in its present location, and undergo
restoration as the University sees fit using the many fine Nordic
resources available. We have several excellent museums and authorities
at our immediate disposal and each of them will be drawn in as
advisories and in any other capacity we feel we need through the
process. But the instrument is really in such decent shape to begin
with, that there is no doubt it will be put into full service again as a
concert instrument.  Not a concert instrument in the same sense that a
brand new Steinway D is mind you.  There is a growing demand, at least
in the Nordic countries, for music played on instruments that predate
1900.

We get into this old versus new wood discussion often enough, and this
reality perhaps more then any illustrates the validity of the position
taken by so many who prefer, or at the very least readily enjoy the
sound that only very old instruments can offer.  Tis true that many old
instruments become utterly destroyed to a degree no one can question.
Tis also true that many have gone through a process of wear and tear and
aging that leave them in a state where they are capable of offering a
sound that is charming in a sense that only that process can yield.

Which brings me to a point I wonder increasingly about. With the
inevitable near total demise of the modern piano market as we know it
today nigh at hand, why do not more rebuilders, builders, and
independents begin to take an more active interest in reviving many of
the instrument types of old. Diagrams,  drawings, and technical readouts
exist in plenty now on how many such instruments were built. Modern
technology and the things learned in the piano industry these past 100
years should make it relativly easy to revive older piano types true to
original form yet improved from a strictly structural point of view.
Many of these are without a doubt less costly to build relative high
levels of quality into then it is to build low levels of quality into
the cheapest possible modern upright variants.

As with many instruments before it, the piano is fated IMHO to recede
sooner or later.  Probably sooner then most will find it comfortable to
admit. Mass production of cheap acoustic instruments will be replaced by
even less expensive electronics that will in the end surpass in quality
their cheap acoustic counterparts. When that happens the entire
fundament of the industry will be swept away leaving only very high
quality instrument production left that will increasingly become a
specialty market... a market open for just about anyone who has the
building skills and necessary instrument knowledge to exploit.  Seems to
me a good idea to begin now, and indeed the evident financial success of
a handful of historical copies builders would indicate to me that this
is true.

Food for thought

Richard Brekne