strings rusting on bridge

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 07:44:34 -0800

Fenton asked: "A small grand I recently serviced is showing severe =
rust/corrosion at =3D
bridge pins and across the deck of the bridge. This is a 90 year old 5' =
=3D
Fischer that was restrung only 6 or 7 years ago. It appears that no =3D
bridge work was done, i.e. new pins, cap, ect. There is no corrosion =3D
anywhere else on the wire. Ideas as to what would cause this? Bass =3D
strings are beginning to break at the front bridge pin. I am not so =3D
concerned about this piano (too late) as I am in learning what caused =
=3D
this for my own education."
Fenton,
This has all the earmarks of DMSO use by the pianist! I've had to =
contend with this a couple of times. Check to see if the pianist has =
Arthritis, or some other debilitating body problem. And, if they are =
using DMSO to ease the pain.
DMSO,s original use, was to thorougly clean metal. It cleans metal so =
well, that is promotes rust.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police