Let-off in piano

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 13:32:22 -0500

Hi Jason,

You wrote: How DO you regulate hammer height and letoff in the grand =
piano?  <snip>  In some situations I have had to do an on-site =
regulation where there is no good, flat surface for the action, so I've =
tried to do it in the piano. <snip>

I often have to do stuff without the proper equipment, because it's just =
not worth it to me (as an amateur) to invest in elaborate tooling.  I =
just did a fairly good preliminary regulation job (preliminary because I =
have other work ahead of me) without a good bench using the following =
method (which does not require a flat surface):

(1) Raise the letoff buttons on the end notes of each section, until the =
hammer blocks against the string.
(2) Adjust the capstans on these notes, so that the hammers *just* reach =
the strings when the key bottoms out.  Of course the force on the key =
*does* matter, so find a way to be consistent.  The hammer bumping =
against the string, ringing it, and then damping it, is an excellent =
aural indicator of having achieved the desired hammer height.
(3) Remove the action and put it on the best surface available.
(4) Section at a time, position a straight edge so that the hammers on =
the section ends *just* meet it when the keys are bottomed.  Lower the =
straight edge by 1/16".
(5) For each note, raise the letoff button until the hammer blocks.  =
Depress a the key, and lower the letoff button until the jack kicks out =
and releases the hammer.
(6) Adjust hammer height and drop in a similar manner.

This is a very quick and easy way to set up for regulation, and I found =
it to be quite accurate, even on less than optimal surfaces.  To do my =
regulation, I just set the action on top of a piano lid, with a blanket =
to cushion it.  :-)

Peace,
Sarah