getting ivory into the US

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 20:37:59 -0600

Center Pins Measurement

Pin Size = (Micrometer Reading - 10)/2

or, going the other way, Micrometer Measurement = (Pin Size X 2) + 10

This is only true up to size 23.5, after that ...
23.5 = .0575
24 = .059
24.5 = .061
25 = .063
26 = .066

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Alan
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 8:23 PM
To: 'Pianotech'
Subject: RE: getting ivory into the US

This is a maybe. If it reacts like ivory it might work.

Since we know that ivory yellows in the dark and sunlight has the opposite
effect, I've wondered if it would be practical to put a strong uv light
source just above the keys and let them cook for a few days, maybe a tanning
bed light tube, 'frinstance.

Two caveats, though. You sure wouldn't want that stuff shining on you for
those days. Also, might it affect the sharps or the piano finish.  ?

I've been very successful at bleaching loose ivories by immersing them in
strong peroxide (beautician's supply store). My only fear was that they
would warp or curl, but they don't. So my other "wonderment" has been "is
there some way to do this in situ," maybe mixing the stuff with something to
form a paste ... ?

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO