your punching comments

antares antares@euronet.nl
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 23:14:15 +0100

On 2-feb-05, at 10:02, Don wrote:

> Hi Andr=E9,
>
> If the difference is 5 to 10% it should be large enough to be easily
> measured with a real time analyser. There are shareware versions of=20
> such
> programs. You would have to manufacture a "key playing device" to=20
> remove
> the "human" from the equation, or use something like a Yamaha=20
> disclavier.
>
> Have you noted the same improvement on upright pianos? Or is this=20
> limited
> to just grand pianos?

Actually Don, I'll leave the scientific stuff to scientists.
The final result is what counts for me.

Today, for instance, I worked on this Bl=FCthner grand.
The notes sounded thin, feeble, and a bit sharp here and there.
I started doing some regulation, but underway decided to first replace=20=

the punching.
Of course I was curious about the result and listened to every note=20
again while replacing the punching one by one.
I was amazed with the result on this particular instrument! All noted=20
were suddenly more thick and clear, like they had gotten more body. The=20=

result was so dramatic that both the pianist and I shared a very=20
fantastic moment.

The whole thing inspired me so very much that I put more than usual=20
energy in the tuning.
After that, voicing was hardly necessary.
It had become an old jewel and it made my day.

The same thing happens in uprights.
Making aftertouch in an upright is a forgotten chapter for most techs.
Getting deeper into this here on this list may be a very nice issue=20
because hardly anybody writes about that.
Especially in relation to this new and inspiring felt punching.

EAR

friendly greetings
from
ANDR=C9 OOREBEEK