Missing Ivories

hubert liverman hubertliverman@bellsouth.net
Thu, 3 Feb 2005 14:15:41 -0600

  Hi, Matthew...

  Jim Kinnear,as well as most of us have salvaged a stock from keytop =
replacements. It will take 'several' to amass enough. There is no =
universal size etc.=20

  "I do not have one single ivory keytop or head.  Do I just need to =
wait until my first keytop replacement where the clients keytops are =
ivory, and then salvage them?"
  =20
  Possibly. there are junker pianos out there that people will pay for a =
'service call' to detirmine if it is worth tuning/reparing. If not, ask =
to salvage keys,action,parts.etc. Collect the check and parts and go =
back to your shop. Some bartering is acceptable in the early years.

  Hubert Liverman
  Tuner/tech
  Opelika, AL

  Matthew

  Jim Kinnear <jim@pianoguy.com> wrote:
    Hi Matthew . .=20

    Most of us, I would think, travel with a baggie of assorted ivories. =
Since they are all different colours, thicknesses, lengths and widths, I =
carry about a hundred, that I have scavenged from old keys I've =
recovered over the years . . .
    Usually there is something that matches.

    The plastic 'ivories' that are available,  are a poor substitute in =
my opinion.

    I'd be interested in what others charge to replace an ivory ??
    =

    Jim Kinnear
    www.kinnearpiano.com
    Collingwood, ON, Canada

    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but =
progress
     -- Joseph Joubert (1754-1824) French Philosopher
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems,=20
    but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort!

      ----- Original Message -----=20