Schimmel regulation problem

Scott Helms tuner@helmsmusic.net
Thu, 3 Feb 2005 18:32:44 -0500 (EST)

Hello everybody -

You might remember that I posted to the list a
month or two ago about a
problem I was having with regulating a Schimmel
grand, and I had to
postpone further discussion until I could get
the action back from the
church and do a little more digging. Well, the
action now sits on the
bench in my shop, so the discussion continues . . .

This is a 1985  6'9" Schimmel in excellent
condition. I cannot get the
letoff any closer than 4 or 5 mm from the
strings, and the letoff buttons
are screwed up as high as they will go. I have
tightened all action
screws, including those on the letoff rail and
the wippen rail, and the
action spread is 114 mm, which I think is right
where it should be. The
hammers have been reshaped once, maybe twice,
and appear to be in good
condition. The hammer bore measurement is 43 mm
on C8 (center of hammer
shank to end of felt).

I am an RPT, and while I wouldn't consider
myself to be a top-notch expert
at regulation, I am reasonably certain that I'm
doing the regulation
procedure correctly. I've never encountered a
problem like this. Rick
Baldassin tells me that he remembers hearing of
a similar situation with a
Schimmel grand from this period, and there was a
problem with the
dimensions of the action brackets. In that case,
Schimmel had to send new
brackets to swap with the old ones. I have
emailed Schimmel's technician
in Germany, and am awaiting a response from him,
but in the meantime I
thought I'd check with all of you cybertechs out
there  :-) Is anyone
familiar with this problem, and what can you
suggest to fix it?

-Scott Helms

--
Scott A. Helms, RPT