Why I'm the tuner and they aren't...

Dave Nereson dnereson@4dv.net
Sat, 5 Feb 2005 03:09:17 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Ilvedson" <ilvey@sbcglobal.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, February 04, 2005 8:59 AM
Subject: RE: Why I'm the tuner and they aren't...

> OK,  I got an emergency service call at Stanford's Memorial Church.   I
> came at 4 pm and found of the organist practicing for his performance.
> Sorry, he could not stop.
> Yikes!   You have no idea what that was like.  I had to tune it
> somehow...SAT III.   I didn't have my magnetic mic!   Darn!   I basically
> tuned in between organ tones.   Imagine the reverberation of a big
> church....yeah, it was real fun.   Amazingly, Paul Kummer, the regular
> Stanford technician, commented on how well tuned the piano was when he
> came back a few weeks later.

    I would have refused.  I mean, there's a limit.....  Could a painter
reasonably be expected to paint a house while you paint right over him on
the same wall with a different color?   Do you turn all your sprinklers on
full blast when the lawn service guys are tryna mow the lawn?  Let the
church endure an out-of-tune piano for one service -- it won't kill them.
Maybe next time they'll not schedule playing and tuning for the same time
slot.
    I know there are those who can tune through anything, but why should
they put up with it?  If they make the job harder for you, it should be at
least $20 extra, and that's being lenient.
    --David Nereson, RPT