Not what I signed up for

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sat, 5 Feb 2005 08:29:53 -0800

I would have told him, in a nice way of course,  that the computer is
only another set of ears which calculates only a theoretical curve for
the tuning.  While it can serve as a guideline for the tuning  I retain
sole veto power when the theoretical curve and the musical reality are
in conflict.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Piannaman@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, February 05, 2005 12:53 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Not what I signed up for

Hi List,

Just a little vent...I got a call a few weeks back from a woman I'd
tuned an Acrosonic for about 5 months ago, saying the piano needed to be
retuned.  Okay, It was some 30 cents flat or so, o that makes sense.

When I arrived on the scene, the bass sounded kind of crappy, and the
treble had gone fairly far flat.  And some of the aging rubber lifter
grommets were clicking in the forks.  NO big deal.  The lady of the
house who I had worked for before was not home.  Instead, a rather CEO
looking man came to the rather large door of the huge and well-appointed
house on the golf cours.

We discussed the situation.  I explained that even with the best
possible tuning by the best tuner in the world, the Acro would never
sound as "in tune" as their son's Charles Walter studio that I also
tune.  He explained that he understood that, but that they just wanted
it to play at family gatherings.  Given their apparent financial
situation, I gently pointed out that they would get far more musical
satisfaction from a better quality instrument, and that they should
limit their expectations for this one.  Blah, blah, blah.

Then he saw my pocket PC and asked about the Tunelab program.  I
explained a bit about it, at which point he told me that he wanted me to
tune to the computer.  I said okay, but as I tuned, it became apparent
to me that my ear did not agree with what I was seeing, especially in
the upper octaves.  This is precisely where he came in to watch me tune,
silent as a statue, for a good 30 minutes.

What it boils down to is that I work for myself for many reasons, the
biggest one being that I don't have to be told what to do.  This
situation was aggravating.  It was evident that the man of the house was
used to telling people what to do and getting his way most of the time.
I'm used to using MY judgement, not that of a person without a musical
bone in his body.

The tuning was way too stretched in the treble, to the point of having
octaves that were strident, but I did it the way he had asked.   I hope
his wife is happy with it(and/or him...(-:).

Thanks for listening,

Dave Stahl