working with etd's and the customers' la-di-da

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sat, 5 Feb 2005 20:20:43 +0100

On 5-feb-05, at 18:53, Brad Smith, RPT wrote:

> We have to be careful how we present the virtues of a machine to the=20=

> client.=A0=A0
> The idea=A0must be 'positioned' so that you get them to understand the=20=

> machine's place in the world.=A0=A0 In this case, this CEO person must=20=

> have gotten the impression that he had a choice to make.

I always explain that my miracle machine listens to 8 partials at the=20
same time and is able to process those 8 partials far better than most=20=

piano tuners ever were able to (have they ever been able to hear more=20
than 3 or 4 partilas?).
I also tell them that many piano tuners are able to make many big=20
mistakes because of hearing deficiencies or lack of 100% education, and=20=

that especially most older tuners lose part of their hearing ability,=20
just as most people need to buy a pair of glasses around their 40th=20
birthday, or even much earlier.
Lastly, I tell them about the many thousands of pianos I have already=20
tuned aurally, and how wonderful it is for
 > them <    , and for me, to finally be able to do even MUCH BETTER=20
WORK for them with the aid of the highly sophisticated electronics of=20
today.

Still, some customers (very very few though) remain skeptical, and to=20
those I offer the following :
I first tune their instrument with my very sophisticated tuning aid and=20=

then ask them to test their newly tuned instrument for at least 5=20
minutes.
If they are for some reason not happy, I'll tune it again aurally, and=20=

for free. (this has happened only one time in the last 5 years).
In that case, I change nothing but spend my time just fooling around,=20
drinking more coffee and making some phone calls.  When I am 'done',=20
the customer again tests the re-tuned instrument and firmly declares=20
that he/she is now much happier!
(; >))

Capisce?

friendly greetings