working with etd's and the customers' la-di-da

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sat, 5 Feb 2005 13:23:12 -0800

I found that in spite of the Verituner hearing all partials, the
decisions it made on some notes (not to mention style selections)
periodically needed correction.  Even if the machine hears everything,
it still must make a decision on where to put the note.  To a certain
degree, that decision is not made by the machine but by the programmer.
The style settings in the VT indicate which coincident partials will be
favored and to what degree in deciding how wide to make the octaves.
While these styles can be tweaked for different pianos the question will
always arise as to whether the style you have chosen is a perfect fit
for the piano.  While hearing all partials might increase accuracy due
to the greater amount of information available, it is not foolproof.
The ear must ultimately be the final arbiter.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Don
Sent: Saturday, February 05, 2005 2:16 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: working with etd's and the customers' la-di-da

Hi André,

I always thought the human ear *automatically* heard all the partials at
once. In fact that's why I believe that even the verituner is subject to
the "taste" of the tuner. I am aware you can choose "styles" with etd's,
and that there is a lot of flexibility--but just like your wonderful
food...the human has to eat it. :)

This is also why I prefer "human unisons" to "machine unisons" (though I
might change my mind if I had a verituner to play with). Tunelab
products
do a display of all partials as well, but again I've not used that
product.

At 08:20 PM 05/02/2005 +0100, you wrote:

>I always explain that my miracle machine listens to 8 partials at the
same
>time and is able to process those 8 partials far better than most piano
>tuners ever were able to (have they ever been able to hear more than 3
or 4
>partilas?).

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca